Text 1-407-792-6060 (U.S.)

International Students Medical 


Travel Safety Insurance


Anywhere in the world




WorldTrips -Tokio Marine HCC & Llyod’s


Four plans to choose from

International Students Health and Travel Safety Insurance

For students who study abroad, away from your home country, WorldTrips-Tokio Marine HCC MIS offers four levels of StudentSecure series of health insurance and travel safety plans worldwide in each of the following two categories:

Worldwide, Including U.S.

Worldwide, excluding U.S.

Four levels of plans are:   

  • Elite: It is most comprehensive, and costliest of the four options.
  • Select: This is next lower to Elite plan.
  • Budget: It is next lower to Select plan
  • Smart: It is the lowest.

View or download here a comparison of four insurance products by Tokio Marine HCC.


International Student Status

This insurance is available to International Students worldwide who plan to be away from their home country to study abroad in any country who carry following status:
  • Full-time Student means a student at a college or university who is taking 10 credit hours (undergraduate students) or 6 credit hours (graduate students). Full-time student status for individuals enrolled at colleges or universities that do not use a credit hour system must provide documentation of full-time student status.
  • Full-time Scholar means an individual who is affiliated with an educational institution and is engaging in educational activities for at least 30 hours per week. These activities may include but may not be limited to performing research in an area of specialty or teaching for a temporary period.
  • Home Country means, for U.S. Citizens, the United States of America, regardless of the location of your principal residence. For non-U.S. Citizens, home country is the country where you principally reside and receive regular mail.

Eligibility for Plans

  1. You must be under age 65; and
  • A full-time student at a college or university, excluding online colleges and universities; or
  • Within 31 days of being a full-time student at a college or university; or
  • A student under age 19 enrolled in a secondary school; or
  • A full-time scholar affiliated with an educational institution and performing work or research for at least 30 hours per week; and
  1. You must be residing outside your home country for the purpose of pursuing international educational activities; and
  2. You must not have obtained residency status in your host country; and
  3. If in the Unites States,
    • You must hold a valid education-related visa. A copy of the I-20 or DS2019 may be requested.
    • For J-1 and F-1 visa (including OPT) holders: The full-time student/scholar status requirement is waived within the U.S. if you have a valid F-1 visa, including OPT / Optional Practical Training, or a J-1 visa.
    • Full-time status requirements remain in force for individuals holding M-1, or other category visas.


  • StudentSecure is not available to the international students coming to the U.S. who are physically located in the states of New York, Maryland, or Washington; or
  • In the country of Canada or Australia at time of purchase.


Mandatory health insurance for international students in U.S.

If you are coming to the U.S. for studies on student visa, it is mandatory by the U.S federal law that all international students coming to the U.S. colleges and universities must purchase medical insurance as condition for their admission. The federal law sets out minimum requirement of health and medical insurance. The states and schools may supplement requirements to the federal law for minimum requirements of medical insurance. Typically, many colleges and universities recommend a preferred vendor for healthcare insurance who has established relations, throw its premiums into your tuition costs on a semester basis, and pay to the vendor on your behalf. It is your choice to directly buy your own healthcare insurance anywhere, and not mandatory to follow your school sponsored healthcare vendor. Generally, you will pay much less money when you shop on your own healthcare insurance plan. However, it is important that you understand what is minimum requirements of medical coverage what different insurance companies offer in their plans.



Health insurance for international student’s family in the U.S..

An international student coming to the U.S. on student visa: F-1, or J-1, can bring spouse and unmarried children under age 21 on valid visitor visa. It is a prerequisite that accompanying family members of the student have minimum medical insurance. Tokio Marine HCC does not integrate health insurance policy of international student with his/her family.

However, the accompanying family members can purchase International Travelers Medical Insurance to cover and satisfy the prerequisites of medical insurance.

A table of comparison showing eligibility, requirements, and benefits covering State mandated minimum requirements vs. StudentSecure – ELITE product for student and Atlas America product for accompanying family is placed here. This table is divided into how benefits of two plans pitch against the minimum state requirements, the additional benefits over and above the state minimum including continuity of benefits in home country, and travel safety and related risks coverage.

Prices of Products for Student and Family

 Look over here a chart of typical prices for the Year 2020 for different age groups for the student on a StudentSecure plan, and accompanying spouse and a child under 21 on Atlas Travel plan for destination countries of U.S. and Non-U.S.

Comparison of features and benefits with another carrier

 View a quick comparison of Tokio Marine HCC plan ‘StudentSecure’ with that of UniteHealthcare®-StudentResource for students coming to the U.S. colleges and universities. The comparison shows requirements mandated by the U.S. law and other additional features offered.

If you are going to a country other than the U.S., follow the law and rules of that country. Your out-of-pocket costs will always be reduced when you make your own arrangements to independently buy and pay for the medical costs through your insurance company, rather than put the medical insurance costs as part of your student tuition. Student healthcare plans via Tokio Marine HCC are available to you the world over, and you have healthcare providers in the worldwide network. 

What are the brief features of this medical insurance?


  • You must have valid visa from host country for this plan.
  • This policy is available for maximum period of 364 days if one of your destinations is the U.S.A. For all other countries, it is 365 days.
  • This policy terminates on: a) last day of the paid premium, b) last day requested on the application, c) the day when you do not meet eligibility requirements of a foreign student or scholar, d) when you return to home country.
  • You have an extended Benefit Period of coverage for 60 days for continued coverage from the date of first diagnosis or treatment of injury or illness for which you were an ‘inpatient’ in a hospital in host country even if your policy terminates during this period.
  • If you make trips to your home country totaling no more than 15 days per 3 months’ period, you are in status of ‘incidental home country coverage’. Return to home country must not be for the purpose of treatment of an illness or injury that began while abroad.
  • Please familiarize yourself with a number of exclusions in this policy.
  • In addition to medical coverage, the policy also covers emergencies like:
  • emergency medical evacuation,
  • repatriation of remains, local burial or cremation, accidental death and dismemberment,
  • terrorism,
  • crisis response like ransom, personal belongings, emergency reunion, bedside visit, return of minor children, pet return, political evacuation, trip interruption, lost checked luggage, travel delay, emergency dental, natural disaster, hospital indemnity, and personal liability.

Review details of plans

Following publications explain scope, benefits, exclusions, and limitations of the two available plans:

Healthcare Providers

 These plans come with worldwide network of healthcare providers who offer you discounted medical costs and out-of-pocket expenses. It is significant to use providers in the networks to get discounted services and processing of your medical claims the Insurance. Reach out to following network of providers to search for providers. Since participation in networks in dynamic, do call to check and verify for appointments.

  •  Worldwide network on healthcare providers affiliated with Tokio-Marine HCC
  •  FirstHealth and Cofinity are the affiliated PPO networks within the U.S.
  • For dental care providers in the U.S.:  Use Dentemax to start your search for dentists.
  • For non-U.S. travels: There are no PPO networks outside USA. You may use Allianz Care  to locate physicians. However, you may use any medical practitioner at your discretion, pay for services and have bills reimbursed.


Preparation before you leave your country and How to File Claims

It is important that you familiarize yourself with all steps involved to medical help or travel risks help before you leave your country to join a school abroad. Do preparations for international travel and learn how to file insurance claims for reimbursement of travel and medical coverages.


I want to sign up. How should I go about?

Open Quote and sign up window here on Tokio Marine HCC site. Quote and Sign up here
Enter data on the form as per Open Instructions.
Follow prompts, complete and submit application.
Receive email confirmation. Follow instructions in the email.

I just signed up. Now What?

An email arrives in your Inbox from Tokio Marine HCC MIS. Read instructions and save this email.
Go over the policy and understand its scope, benefits, and limitations.
Find doctor you want to visit, make appointment, and settle fee payment arrangements.
How do I make sure my medical bills are cleared timely?
If you are outside the U.S. Check with the provider of the medical services if they accept your insurance ID card of Tokio Marine HCC policy and have capability to process medical claims directly. In this case, assign processing of bills to the medical service providers. If the medical service providers do not process claims with insurer, take all bills from providers, pay for services upfront, take receipts of payments you to make and then file claims with insurance company for reimbursements. Your service provider may accept to wait for you to have insurance company pay directly and establish relationship. If you are in the U.S. Verify with the medical service providers in the network that they accept Tokio Marine HCC policy and they will process the claims directly with the insurance company. If so, the insurance company will notify you in Explanation of Benefits statement showing claims paid, claims denied, and what you owe. Note of caution! In either case, it is important that you file medical claims with the insurance company or have your medical service provider file claims and check their status online. If your medical service provider is not dealing directly with insurance company, download online Claim Form, fill the medical services you received, bills of the service providers and submit paper claim by mail, or scan and submit claims to Service@hccmis.com, or preferably go to Client Zone of your registered account, login and submit the claims. You can fill the forms online as well and email supporting bills. As your claims are processed, you will receive a statement of Explanation of Benefits (EOB) from Claims Examiner, which will show claims paid or denied.
Plan availability varies by State. Shop Plans to see what’s currently available for you


Call us at 407-792-6060 or leave message below. We’ll get back to you within 24 hours.