Short Term Medical Insurance Health Insurance by The IHC Group
The IHC Group offers Short Term Medical health insurance plans for 90 days, 180 days and 364 days depending upon the Zip Code. All plans are on monthly basis. These plans are not compliant with Patient Protection Affordable Care Act (PPACA, or Obamacare) for full medical care coverage. Effective January 1, 2019, there is no penalty through tax return for not having PPACA. [Reference: www.healthcare.gov/fees/].
Unlike enrollment for ACA compliant major medical plans (Obamacare), which has fixed timeframe of Nov 01 to Dec 15 for enrollment, unless one falls into Special Enrollment category, one can sign up Short Term Medical plan, including family members, any day of the year. When it comes to comparing premiums, Short Term Medical plans are in the range of 25% to 40% of Obamacare plans, depending upon what one chooses to purchase and the Zip Code one lives in.
There is large choice for selecting deductible, coinsurance, and length of coverage so you know that you have prepared for financial risk due to unexpected medical situation you may run into. Generally, short-term medical insurance is applicable to:
- Those who are in waiting for open enrollment for ACA compliant medical plans during its open enrollment from Nov 01 to Dec 15.
- Those needing immediate coverage while shopping and applying for permanent coverage.
- Individuals transitioning between jobs.
- Employees waiting for employer’s group medical coverage to begin as job benefit.
- College students or recent graduates.
- Individuals no longer eligible on parents’ plan.
- Self-employed individuals who find ACA plans beyond reach.
- Those seeking an affordable option to COBRA.
- On strike, laid off, or terminating employees.
- Part-time or temporary workers.
- Individuals not yet eligible for Medicare coverage.
- New residents of the United States.
- Individuals who are risk averse to being medically uninsured.
- Is available to primary applicant from age 18 to below 65, his or her spouse age 18 to below 65,
- Primary applicant can include unmarried dependent child (or children) who: a) is less than 19 years of age; or b) is at least 19 years of age but less than 25 years and enrolled and attending as full time student at an accredited college, university, vocational or technical school; c) is not pregnant at the time of application, d) is not active member of armed forces; e) is not medically disqualified due to certain medical conditions or critical diseases.
- Have lived in the U.S, for 12 consecutive months.
- Is not an active member of armed forces,
- Is not covered by any government sponsored health insurance plan, or any other group or individual medical health insurance on proposed effective date of the new STM policy,
- Is not pregnant, is not expectant parent, in process of adopting a child, or undergoing fertility treatment.
- Is below 300 pounds for male, below 250 pounds for female.
- Is not medically disqualified due to certain medical conditions or critical diseases
Scope and Structure of Short Term Medical Plans
All plans are month-to-month. Following is the scope, structure and availability of Short Term Medical plans based on the Zip Code you reside in:
- Secure STM: Offers 3 coinsurance choices, and 5 deductible choices. 90 days’ plans are available. Policy Maximum $2.0M. Click here to browse the brochure. Click here to download the brochure.
- Secure Lite: Offers 2 coinsurance choices, and 4 deductible choices. 90 days’ plans are available. Policy Maximum $750K. Click here to browse the brochure. Click here to download the brochure.
- Connect Plus: Covers some pre-existing conditions (max $25k). Offers 3 coinsurance choices, and 4 deductible choices. 180 days’ and 364 days’ plans are available. Policy Maximum $2.0M. Click here to browse the brochure. Click here to [secured] download the brochure.
- Connect STM: Offers 3 coinsurance choices, and 4 deductible choices. 180 days’ and 364 days’ plans are available. Policy Maximum $2.0M. Click here to browse the brochure. Click here to [secured] download the brochure.
- Connect Value: Offers 3 coinsurance choices, and 4 deductible choices. 180 days’ and 364 days’ plans are available. Policy Maximum $1.0M. Click here to browse the brochure. Click here to [secured] download the brochure.
National PPO of Healthcare Providers
These plans have contracted with a number of healthcare providers [Preferred Providers Organization] such as physicians, hospitals, urgent care centers, labs and radiology diagnostic facilities. You can visit these providers nationwide. You pay less if you use providers that belong to this network.
Medical Ancillary Care Providers
You can access medical ancillaries care providers in categories of Diagnostic Services, Medical Equipment, Therapeutic Services, Custodial Services, and Other Services like Podiatry, Vision.
Short Term Medical Plans: Selection and Signup
Click here to watch a brief video and follow these steps for selection and signup for a Short Term Medical insurance plan:
Step 2: Fill in basic information of Zip Code, Effective Date, Date of Birth, Gender. You may add for Spouse and children and then click on Submit
Step 3: You are presented with Top Seller plans for that Zip Code in VA or FL. Look over the plans of your interest as follows:
Step 4: Selection of Plan: We recommend selection of minimum deductible with 80% coinsurance and minimum Out-of-Pocket plan.
Step 5: Additional Choices to Signup: At the minimum, select Rx Pay Card. You do need medications to go with your healthcare. You have choices for options to add for Dental Plan, Hospital and Surgical Indemnity, and Telemedicine.
Step 6: Click on Apply on selected plan Follow pages to sign up. You will get policy in your email inbox with instructions.
Office Visit Copay: What you pay upfront at the reception of doctor’s office and give your IHC Short Term Medical insurance card. Must make sure the doctor’s office accepts it and bills to insurance company.
- Individual: The selected deductible maximum is an amount must be paid by the covered person before coinsurance benefit begin. The deductible applies per covered person, per covered period. To be risk averse, use choice of least deductible amount for the plan, though the premium will be higher.
- Family: When three covered persons in a family each satisfy their deductible, the deductibles for any remaining covered family members are considered satisfied for the remainder of the coverage period.
Coinsurance and Out-of-Pocket Maximum:
- After the deductible maximum amount has been met, you pay the selected coinsurance percentage of covered expenses until the out-of-pocket maximum that you selected has been reached.
- The out-of-pocket maximum amount is specific to expenses applied to the coinsurance percentage. it does not include covered expenses applied to the deductible, pre-certification penalty amounts, or expenses not covered under the policy.
- Once the deductible and Out-of-Pocket maximum amount has been satisfied, additional covered expenses within the coverage period are paid to by insurance at 100 percent, not to exceed the covered period maximum benefit amount. Benefits specific maximums may also apply.
Renewability and Continuity: STM plans are not auto-renewable. The next coverage period is not in continuation of the previous period; it is the new plan with a new deductible, coinsurance, and pre-existing condition limitations. You can buy the next plan 60 days in advance to ensure continuity of coverage.
Exclusions: Note exclusions to the benefits in the brochure for the plan.
Policyholders Customer Services
Loomis Company are the Servicers for the policies issued by The IHC Group. Here is information for post- policy purchase for the members:
- Phone: 866-473-6615 /Option 3 for members
- Email Customer Service: email@example.com
- Policy Documents Requests: IHCDocuments@loomisco.com
- Online Member Portal: http://www.loomisco.com/healthxgateway/member
- Physical ID cards delivered mailed 3 days after policy issue.
- Welcome letters & policies are delivered via email.
- Bill Inquiries: 1-866-892-4301
- Fax: 610-374-6986